- 23 November 2016 - 27 November 2016
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Organisers: Anthony Harradine (ACEMS, Potts-Baker Institute,Prince Alfred College), Anita Ponsaing (ACEMS, University of Melbourne), Nigel Bean (ACEMS, University of Adelaide).
Facilitating people to do mathematics like a research mathematician
First consider what research mathematicians do, and do not, do…
Mathematicians do not generally:
- sit competitions
- have daily lessons or lectures
- study for tests and exams
Research mathematicians do use previously learned facts and know-how to solve problems, problems that researchers initially have no idea how to solve.
But how do they do that? And how can we help people to appreciate how they do that and do that for themselves?
This event puts teachers and research mathematicians together and provides them with (appropriate) problems so that they can attack them together – learning by doing.
In the future it is hoped that more people will be able to run Doing Maths Like a Mathematician events.
- Deadline: 23 October 2016
- Registration is by invitation only
- Only one registration is required. Please add all events to the Event Cart before checkout
Program Structure (click to enlarge)