FAQs for MATRIX Program Organisers
What does MATRIX do?
What does MATRIX fund?
What are the guidelines for submitting proposals to MATRIX?
What facilities are available for programs?
What are program organisers’ expected responsibilities?
Where is MATRIX located?
What type of accommodation does MATRIX provide?
What IT support/facilities does MATRIX offer?
Is MATRIX family friendly?
MATRIX is an international research institute that hosts residential programs where world leading researchers in the mathematical sciences undertake collaborative research. MATRIX provides comprehensive end-to-end event management support and is the first point of contact for all program organisers and participants.
- the booking of on-site accommodation and provides recommendations for off-site accommodation as required,
- the booking of transport from Ballarat to Creswick and Creswick to Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport/CBD on designated collection date(s),
- on-site catering (including assistance with menu selection) and facilities,
- program schedules (in conjunction with program organisers),
- manages the formal invitation and online registration process; and
- provides ongoing logistical and administrative support throughout the duration of the program.
Back to top
- collaborative space with individual desks (up to 20 desks),
- on-campus meals (continental breakfast (Monday-Sunday), and lunch and dinner (Monday-Friday),
- transport from Ballarat to the MATRIX Creswick Campus on designated collection date(s),
- transport from Creswick to Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport and CBD on the designated collection date,
- accommodation – comprising basic college-style one-bedroom accommodation with wash basin (full linen provided) and shared but private lockable bathrooms with toilet and shower,
- dedicated on-site concierge and IT support,
- additional carer support through MATRIX Family Fund; and
- additional self-funded on-site accommodation can be made available.
Please see the Submission Guidelines page here.
MATRIX provides shared office spaces with individual desks for up to 20 participants and basic on-site accommodation for up to 20 participants per day of the program. Additional on-site accommodation can be made available.
The MATRIX House offers collaboration space with 20 individual desks, printing facilities, stationery, tea and coffee supplies, etc.
In the lead up to programs, organisers are asked to:
- provide a list of participant names and email addresses. Organisers will be asked to liaise with potential participants about program content and dates,
- provide website material,
- advise MATRIX staff of the program’s structure/catering/accommodation requirements and approve the final on-site accommodation allocation,
- provide a brief scientific report following program conclusion within specific timeframes; and
- encourage participants to submit articles to the MATRIX Book Series and assign a guest editor who will organise appropriate peer-review and ensure the scientific quality of submitted articles; see Book Series for further information.
MATRIX is located at the University of Melbourne’s Creswick campus in regional Victoria.
Creswick lies at the heart of Victoria’s central goldfields region, neighbouring the popular tourism regions of Clunes, Daylesford, the Hepburn spa country and the Macedon Ranges. Creswick is approximately 60mins drive from Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport and 90mins from Melbourne’s CBD.
See the Visiting Creswick webpage for further information.
MATRIX-funded on-site accommodation:
Semmens Hall consists of basic yet comfortable college-style one-bedroom accommodation (20 single rooms in total), with otherwise shared facilities including 7 private lockable bathrooms (comprising a toilet, shower and basin). Accommodation facilities also include a shared living room and kitchen facilities. Towels/bedroom linen and a limited supply of toiletries will be provided.
Rooms are serviced once per week and common areas in all accommodation buildings are cleaned once per day (Monday to Friday). See the Accommodation page for further information.
Additional self-funded on-site accommodation facilities are available for up to 40 participants (subject to availability) and additional off-site accommodation options are listed on our Accommodation page.
Please note that the Creswick campus of the University of Melbourne is non-smoking.
Back to top
Participants will be provided with access to the University of Melbourne’s computing facilities, including WiFi, printing/scanning and access to the University of Melbourne library collections (if specifically requested by program organisers). On the first day of each program, MATRIX will provide dedicated IT support to personally assist each participant with any IT issues.
Back to top
MATRIX is a family friendly organisation. Participants who wish to bring their family are eligible to apply for additional support from the MATRIX Family Fund and parenting rooms can be arranged on-campus during the day. MATRIX can also assist with providing childcare service information.
- Spouses (alone) are generally not funded by MATRIX.
- Off-campus accommodation is most appropriate for families (e.g. family rooms at the Creswick RACV Goldfields Resort or possible rental properties (e.g.: Airbnb’s in Creswick and Ballarat).