Where is MATRIX located?
How do I get there?
What Visa do I need to travel to Australia?
When should I arrive?
What does MATRIX provide participants?
What type of accommodation does MATRIX provide?
What IT support/facilities does MATRIX offer?
Does MATRIX provide support to families?
What is the climate like in Creswick?
Will there be excursions during the program?
The Mathematical Research Institute MATRIX is located at the University of Melbourne campus in Creswick, regional Victoria. Creswick lies at the heart of Victoria’s central goldfields, neighbouring popular tourism regions of Clunes, Daylesford, the Hepburn spa country, and the Macedon Ranges, and is approximately 60mins drive from Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, and 90mins from Melbourne’s CBD. See the Visiting Creswick webpage for further information.
Back to top
For participants arriving on a Sunday:
MATRIX staff will arrange transfers from Ballarat Train Station to Creswick.
PM:12.35, 18.40, 20.50
For participants not arriving on a Sunday:
- Bus route 3 travels from Ballarat to Creswick.
- Alternatively, a taxi can be booked from Ballarat Train Station to Creswick.
- If participants are arriving in Melbourne by air, the best way to travel to Ballarat is via the Ballarat Airport Shuttle, which terminates at the Ballarat Train Station.
- MATRIX recommends program participants arrive at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport between 07:30 and 18:00 to coordinate with the shuttle bus services.
- Shuttle tickets can be purchased online via: http://airportshuttlebus.com.au/?id=Form_49d9a7b7ca473 (it is highly recommended to purchase tickets in advance).
- The last shuttle bus to Ballarat of the evening is at approximately 19:00 on Sundays and 21:00 on weekdays. For any late arrivals, or delayed flights, it is recommended that participants stay in an airport hotel and catch a shuttle bus the following morning.
- Trains/Buses depart from Southern Cross Station, Melbourne CBD to Ballarat.
- Participants can visit the PTV website for times and ticketing information: http://www.ptv.vic.gov.au.
Alternatively, participants may choose to hire a car for personal transportation. However, this cost will not be covered by MATRIX.
- MATRIX recommends program participants first travel to Ballarat and arrive before 19:00 (local time) the day before their intended commencement date. MATRIX staff will be on call via mobile phone in case of any difficulties.
- If travelling by air, MATRIX recommends program participants arrive at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport between 07:30 and 18:00 to coordinate with the shuttle bus services.
- For participants arriving on a Sunday, MATRIX staff will arrange transfers from Ballarat Train Station to Creswick departing at: 10.15, 12.35, 18.35, 20.50.
- Participants may arrive and check-in any day or time during the program. Before program commencement dates, participants will be provided with access codes to the Creswick campus buildings.
MATRIX staff are not registered migration agents and thus cannot advise on which visa will be appropriate for participants’ visits. However, the`Visa Finder’ section of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s website is helpful for this purpose: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1. See the Visiting Creswick webpage for further information.
Back to top
- On-site accommodation (or monetary equivalent off-site);
- On-site meals (any off-site lunches or pub meals must be covered by individual participants);
- WiFi access;
- Collaboration space with individual desks, printing facilities, stationery, tea and coffee supplies etc;
- Dedicated IT and administrative support; and
- Transportation from Creswick to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport/Melbourne CBD (one way, single trip) at the conclusion of the program.
MATRIX-funded on-site accommodation, Semmens Hall, consists of basic single rooms with a washbasin but otherwise shared facilities. Semmens Hall contains 20 single rooms, 7 private bathrooms and a large common area including kitchenette facilities. Towels and a limited supply of toiletries will be provided, and rooms are serviced once a week and common areas in all accommodation buildings are cleaned once a day (Monday to Friday). See the Accommodation page for further information.
Please note that all MATRIX facilities and the Creswick campus of the University of Melbourne are non-smoking.
Back to top
Participants will be provided with access to the University of Melbourne’s IT facilities, including wireless, printing, scanning facilities and access to the University of Melbourne Library collections (if specifically requested). On the first day of each program, MATRIX will provide dedicated IT support to personally assist each participant with any IT issues.
Back to top
MATRIX is a family friendly organisation. Participants staying for two weeks or longer, and who wish to bring their family, are eligible to apply for additional support from the MATRIX Family Fund. Family and parenting rooms can be arranged on-campus during the day. MATRIX can assist with childcare service arrangements.
- Spouses (alone) are generally not funded or accommodated by MATRIX.
- Off-campus accommodation is most appropriate for families (e.g. family rooms at the Creswick RACV Goldfields Resort or rental properties in Ballarat or Daylesford).
Creswick does get cold in Winter so be sure to pack for the cold! Summers are warmer (though with cooler nights). For monthly climate statistics, visit the Australian Government’s Bureau of Meteorology webpage via http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_088019.shtml
Back to top
Free time will be allocated during programs, and MATRIX will provide program participants with suggestions as to day trips or excursions they may choose to take. However, this will not be pre-arranged prior to programs, and MATRIX will not cover the cost of excursions. Individual participants must pay for their own excursions.